Old 21-01-2005, 01:04 AM
Newbie Bill

Most people would love to have a stable 7.2 pH and the majority? will say to
not put in any additives you dont have too. I would not try to change the
natural pH if you alkalinity is good enough to hold it stable. I also
believe most pond fish prefer at least a slightly alkaline pH. Change your
water, not your natural chemistry. Dats my 2 cents worth, well call it 2
bits worth to compensate for inflation
Have Fun!!
Bill Brister

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
OK, now I am totaly confused. My pH is 7.2 right out of the well. If I
try to lower the pH...will that increase the bacterial grouth. If the pH
is on the acidic side...ammonia starts converting to ammonium?...So is
that better?

Rich

"Lilly" wrote in message
ups.com...
If the pH is low, that can impede growth of bacteria. Somewhere around
a pH of 5 is when the benefical bacteria really start to shut down. As
an aside, I have been told by people who have travelled to some of the
more acidic waters of the Amazon that bacterial activity is nearly
nill. Hence the reason wild Discus seem to have "adjustment" issues,
they're just not used to bacteria.

Also, if the pH is in the acidic range, the ammonia starts converting
to ammonium, which isn't a problem for fish. Doing large water changes
with alkaline water could alter that balance, and should be approached
carefully. A sudden influx of alkaline water will cause sudden rise in
pH, and possibly a conversion of ammonium to ammonia if you reach the
7.0 threshold.

Lilly

Newbie Bill wrote:
"Richard Holub" wrote in message
How long does it take for ammonia to be broken down to

nitrite/nitrate in
a new filter? I have had my new drip filter going for

approximately 4
weeks and so far my tests only read ammonia. Isin't it about time

that
the tests show some nitrite buil-up?

160 gal. rubber lined pond, 72 deg. F, four 8" koi...

Rich

At aquarium temps my rule of thumb has been a week to 10 days to

bring bring
ammonia to 0 and nitrites growing. Double that time again to reduce
nitrites to 0. At cooler temps the nitrite reducing bacteria will

probably
grow a little slower. Ammonia reducing bacteria shouldnt be impeded

as
much, certainly not a month.

Sorry, but I don't have a solution. At a minimum you should be doing

large
water changes to keep your ammonia down. However, while I don't know

the
specifics, I have also heard of instances of certain new water

conditioners
binding the ammonia to the point that it nitrite bacterial growth is

very
slow. If this option is available I would see about transfering your

pets
to another pond, possibly reintroducing 1 when the ammonia gets near

0. I
dont adhere as closely to 'the groups' 1000 +100 rule for koi, but I

would
definitely agree that 4 8" koi is going to be way too much. My

brother in
law had a similar situation and I didnt pond at the time. He

complained
they kept jumping out. This was to escape the toxic waters. He

still has
one solitary koi - but it is not very happy. I hate to be a nay

sayer but a
few comets or shubunkin might be a better fit. If your pond is that

warm in
the winter and doesnt get very hot in the summer even some fancy

goldfish
might be nice.
Good Luck!
Bill