Old 21-01-2005, 06:16 PM

Simple Staghorm appears due to excess fish waste and NH4, substrate
disturbances.
If you hack the tank, make sure to do a large water change right
afterwards.

Once there, much like BBA, you need to go and remove it. Prune 1/3 to
1/2 the tank well, preen the plants, take off any infected leaves.
Remove any detritus, dead leaves etc. Then do the old 50% water changes
and dosing the nutrients back again. Then next week finish off the
other half. Clean equipment well with bleach/H2O2 etc

If conditions are good, eg, good CO2, regular routine dosing, no algae
will bug you if you do this.
Less light helps to balance CO2/nutrients and gives you more wiggle
room.

It's basic work, there is no anti laziness pill, procrastination pill
(generally the issue for most of us, I'd like some of these myself) or
algae cure all that addresses that.

By providing optimal growing conditions, pruning really makes removal
of any attached algae rather easy. Good conditions stop it's growth,
then it's just a matter of removing what's there. Pruning makes short
work of this.

Algae fix and the like: copper works the best IME, IMO of any
algaicide, it's what we use at the state level for algae issue,
but...............it's also the absolute LAST thing we use.

I specialize in alternative non herbicidal treats for algae and aquatic
weed control.
H2O2 is a general biocide, it kills everything rather than a target
organism. Copper is better there.
We have acrolein which is a nasty strong oxidizer that decays into CO2
after 2 days and is used in irrigation canals to kill off weeds and
anything else. It's highly toxic to fish(So is chlorine/H2O2 for that
matter), but it's not used in natural or potable waters. If the water
is static/non moving, H2O2 could be used or O3(which degasses/decays in
1 hours or so).

I'd say pruning and good nutrients makes the best short work on any
algae with no harm to the plants, actually they grow much better since
you are addressing those needs and issues. Which was the original goal
to begin with, was it not?
Best niot to lose sight of the original goal and purpose and not get
all fixated on killing algae. That's not long range management!

Removing the algae by simply pruning and removing and reworking the
tank area is the fastest/safest method around to rid your tank of the
algae, the real problem is that is grows back fast UNLESS you take care
of the reason why it's there in the first place.
Poor plant health/growth.

That's why I don't have algae issues and why the advice I give works.

That focus will never change. It's much easier to deal with algae by
using that approach than herbicides. Tanks look better etc.
If you have lots of tanks etc, don't have time etc etc, go non CO2
approaches, never half do an approach and then complain it does not
work.

There is an approach for everyone's goals, there are trade offs, but
most are very happy given the initial goal and results if they follow
through.

I never endorse nor use a herbicide/algicide. It's not the goal in
planted tanks and they do not help plants grow, that is why the algae
is there, sub optimal plant growth/dominance.

I know I am preaching to the choir to some degree, but it's always good
to think and re evalute things when addressing any treatment program.
Consider the goal, don't fall into the trap that you need snake oil to
get you "over this temporay hump".
Cleaning stuff up with H2O2 or Bleach etc is fine. H2O2 kills a number
of plants selectively also, Egeria, Lagarosiphons are greatly
effected(more than the algae).

Regards,
Tom Barr