Old 21-01-2005, 06:31 PM
greenfoot

You have my sympathy. There are several types of moles. Some are
harmless, creating just a few small mounds and almost unnoticable
tunnels. These ones are kinda cute. Some are destructive; these are
not cute.

I could easily live with harmless ones. Most of your replie are about
these. Heck, I'd like one. I prefer to live in harmony with nature if
I can. The moles I had were not the harmless cute kind. They
destroyed my back yard. I am not kidding. We are talking about more
than 50 mounds (each at least 2 feet across and 6 inches high) in a
smallish surbaban backyard. This was in a dulex, and the tennents
could not mow because of the mounds. If I raked them all flat, the
next day there would be half a dozen more... and more the next. One of
our tennents sprained an ancle when her foot sunk into one of the
hollow spots.

Traps eventually worked. However, you must follow the directions
carefully and monitor them closely (several times a day) if you want
any success. I could not check them daily, so it took a whole season.
They yard needed to be reseeded completely come fall.

A few harmless ones... enjoy them.
Destructive yard destroyers, trap them or give up and move.

gf