Old 21-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Derek Broughton

John Bachman wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:12:24 -0500, Stephen Henning
wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote on Jan 17:

John Bachman wrote on Jan 16:

wrote on Jan 16:
wouldn't it be simpler, 1000g = 1kg = 1l?

You have confused the measurements of volume and weight. 1000
milli-liters = 1 liter. 1000 grams = 1 kilogram.

Not really. For water, the figures are the same.

1kg = 1l ONLY at the tripple point of water which is 3.98C. At room
temperature there is a .2% discrepancy. At the boiling point there is a
4.4% discrepancy since the water expands and liters don't.

So one could say that 1kg of water is approximately 1 liter in volume.

As John pointed out you can never say 1kg = 1l. It is like saying that
1 apple = 1 pear.

See what happens when you ask for engineers? You get buggered on the
details. While in the first approximation 1 liter of water has a mass
of 1 Kilogram it is not correct to say that 1 l = 1Kg.

Sorry that you asked?

Hey, don't put that on me!! In the first place, I didn't ask. I only
complained at you guys being so picky (and Keith for reviving a thread that
had been dead for two months).

In the second, you have both snipped a vital part of the context. I said
"the figures are the same (within tolerances)." I stand by that. Only a
completely anal-retentive engineer would feel otherwise when we're talking
about a hobby pond (I do AR pretty well, but I'm reasonably certain that
_none_ of us have ever had a pond come even close to the boiling point -
even the guys who have ponds in Colorado). I consider it a deliberate
fraud that Stephen removed the parenthetical expression AND put a period
in.

And no, it isn't even close to saying that one apple = one pear.
--
derek