Old 22-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

david taylor wrote:

Watch the end of the season and early frosts for french type and runner
beans, courgettes etc. We used to grow french beans in Durham away from the
coast.
I was caught out in Cheshire the first week in September with an early
frost.
Aubergines seemed to need more heat than tomatoes in the greenhouse.
There are now more cool friendly varieties of sweet pepper.

Oh good. Any names?

Grow broad beans for the pods rather than seeds. This breaks with tradition
gives you a delicious vegetable with no problems of hardiness.

Certainly the only time we tried to grow them here in
Glasgow we got very small, rather disappointing, beans.

Watch sprouting brocolli and cover in very cold conditions.

That's well worth knowing, as that's one of our favourites.
Thanks. (Anyone tried the new annual purple, Spike?)

Sprouts, Savoy cabbage etc no problem.

Good...

Kerr's Pink was a popular potato variety in Norway-any comment from
Scotalnd?

So I'm not likely to get anywhere with my Salad Blue then?
I got some as microplants last year and grew them up in a
potato barrel, but by the end of the season there were only
five small ones, so I kept them over for next year...

Rhiannon

--

http://sciethics.blogspot.com/ -- the rights and wrongs of
science.