Old 22-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Cereus-validus...

I'm not talking about escaped plants from cultivation. I was referring to
the possibility of epiphytic species evolving naturally from other species
already found in the area of the Pacific Northwest. The isolation of the
Olympic forest prevents any epiphytic flowering species from the far away
Southeastern US or Mexico from ever possibly migrating there. Any endemic
epiphytic flowering species would be unique to the region.

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
It is more likely that few if any epiphytic flowering plants are found
in
the Pacific Northwest because of the lack of potential progenitors in the
region.

The Pacific Northwest is lousy with orchid growers & other gardeners. If
there
were any chance of success, I'm sure they would have experimented with
tying
epiphytes to trees long ago, the way they do in Hawaii & Florida. I have
never
heard of it being tried there, even with Epidendrum conopseum.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen