Old 23-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Chookie

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Agreed so far as transport and shop prices for foods go, but in other

Don't you live in a really tiny country? :-)

Here, transport is a HUGE cost for the rural areas. Petrol is dearer because
it has to be trucked in (and then you have to use a lot more to get anywhere),
food is dearer because it has to be trucked in... then factor in the effect of
low levels of competition! I'm guessing that I pay a little under $1/litre
here in Sydney, but I only use about 40 litres a week.

I certainly noticed the higher food prices when I was on holiday in Perth last
year -- there hasn't been a huge effect on Sydney food prices yet, at least
not the stuff that I buy. For example, I can buy a side of lamb from a
wholesale butcher for $6/kg. Two years ago it was $5.80/kg. OTOH retail
butchers charge amazingly -- lamb cutlets have roughly doubled in price in the
same period (I've seen them for $32/kg!). If I had no wholesale butcher near
me, I *would* have seen the difference in the meat budget.

ways living in the sticks can be cheaper than urban /city life. Local
taxes and all insurances are cheaper,

Not sure about this -- it's difficult to judge such things across different
countries. House insurance might not be cheaper in rural Aust. due to the
increased flood and fire risk in the country.

and in a cold climate, there's a
big saving in fuel costs from plenty of free wood for heating.

Um, yes, but Len isn't in a cooler climate! His heating needs would be quite
modest compared to yours.

Private
water and sewage systems (unavailable in suburbs/cities here) are far,
far cheaper than the charges for public water/sewage.

Again, this is a local thing. Water rates (which include sewerage) in
Australia are ridiculously low for city-dwellers and do not reflect the
(un)availability of the resource. Don't get me started on that one!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet