Old 23-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Chookie

In article , Ben Thomas
wrote:

We've been picking them when they're still green then putting them on the
window sill to ripen. The birds don't have chance, but I wonder if
we're picking them too early.

I think you are, but I've never had problems with birds eating them here in
Sydney (what birds go for them?). I pick them when they're ripe, or very
close to it. If birds are a problem, try netting.

BTW, have you noticed there is a little "elbow" ont the tomato stalk? Break
them off there and you run less risk of damaging the fruit or plant.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet