Old 23-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Dan White

"Morten" wrote in message

I've done a few calculations and 100g of baking powder together with

0.1447
litre of 30%HCl should give 52.39g CO2 which at room temperature /

pressure
should be arround 26.65 Litre of CO2 gas which in turn should be about

2540
bubbles (based on a bubble size of 0.0952ml)

I also did some calculation on the yeast / sugar method and found that

200g
sugar gave about 48.86g CO2 or 24.87 Litre CO2 at room temperature, which

is
about 2368 bubbles given the same bubble size as above...

So say that we use a standard Yeast / Sugar batch of ca. 200g sugar that
gives ca. 4700 bubbles over ca. 2 weeks.

It is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if something sounds right or
not. I'm not a CO2 expert...I don't even use it, but I think I recall
people talking in terms of several bubbles per second. Even if we talk
about 1 bubble/sec over say 12 hours/day for 14 days that makes over 600,000
bubbles! Your bubble at .0952 ml has about a .28 cm radius, so it is a big
bubble.

I don't know how big the 600,000 bubbles are at the 1 bubble/sec rate, but
if we look at your calculation of 4700 bubbles through the yeast method over
that same 14 days, this would say that your bubbles would have to be
600K/4.7K = 128 times the volume of the yeast bubble. So what does that
make the radius of the 600,000 bubbles? .0952ml/128 = .00074 ml, or a
bubble radius of .056 cm or a diameter of 1 mm.

So for people who use yeast, if you get 1 bubble per second, these bubbles
would have to be 1 mm in diameter in order for the "charge" of yeast to last
14 days at 12 hours per day if Morten's 4700 bubble calculation is correct.
Does this make sense?

Just curious,
dwhite