Old 23-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article , Dan

Welch
writes

[...]
What
plants really like very wet soil? I think that I could plant a
willow tree, but that's not ideal. Watercress would probably grow
there but I have a limited capacity for that! I'd love to accept

the
site as it is and dig a pond there, but we have a toddler so

that's
something best avoided. Any thoughts?

Look at the bog garden section of your local nursery. Marsh

marigolds,
Geum rivale, ragged robin are some of the things I have in a

similar
situation. If it doesn't dry out in the summer, a bog garden can be
very attractive - quite a few urglers would be pleased to have the
chance.

And remember a pond can be drown-proof. You can fill it with stones
to just below water-level, and nearly all pond-life will be perfectly
happy. As the little one gets bigger, you can take stones out and
make room for fish.

Mike.