Old 23-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Mike Lyle

Keith Hampson wrote:
Hi I am new to gardening, I want an edge about 42 foot long, I am
wanting an attraction for wildlife and security, someone suggested

me Hawthorne, can anyone give me some more ideas?

thanks

Hawthorn is excellent as a barrier and for wildlife; but you could
mix in some blackthorn (loved by long-tailed tits and sloe gin
drinkers), and maybe a few rambling roses to look pretty. I'd put in
a couple of damson trees, too, an elder or two, and maybe a crab
apple: I'd let these grow as trees, not trimmed like the rest, and
enjoy the crop once they're established. I've included field maple
and guelder rose for wildlife purposes; but they aren't much good for
a barrier.

I suggest making the hedge double thickness if you've got room, but
you'd need access both sides for cutting: the birds would love you
for this.

You could underplant with some spring flowers: I wouldn't want to be
without primroses and snowdrops, especially on the shady side.
English bluebells for either side. Wild daffodils like the ones here
in Glos.

Mike.