Old 23-01-2005, 07:10 PM
salgud

Thanks for all the great feedback. This is definitely one of the most
"beginner friendly" NG's I've encountered. It's nice not to get flamed
for not knowing much yet.

"Before - were you getting very dark green lush
growths? This is also a sign of too much nitrogen. A little
less food or a little more light, probably either would have
produced the blooms"

Since I'm not yet familiar with normal growth vs abnormal growth, I'm
not sure what I'm seeing. The blooming paph has grown from 2 leaves,
when I first got it, to 7 now, as it is spiking. They are mottled light
and dark green. So the plant has been growing well. Perhaps too well?.
I will certainly withold food from it next winter, if it hasn't bloomed
again in the interim. I did significantly increase the light last year,
having been told originally not to put any of my orchids in direct
southern light. I did some reading, and found that if they aren't
blooming, they need more light. So I moved them all to my south
windows, of which I have a bunch. But that alone didn't cause any of
them to bloom. So should I now adjust their fertilizer to lower
nitrogen?

"In general, and if you are dealing with paph hybrids, I would venture
to say
that it is safe to continue with feeding year round. However, if, as
another respondant suggested, your plants go into semi-dormancy because
of
reduced seasonal light, then, naturally, feeding should be suspended
and
watering reduced"
How do I know they have gone into semi-dormancy? Just look for slower
growth? Are their any other more obvious signs?
In terms of oveall health, I know to look for growth, nice green-ness,
full pseudo-bulbs on those that have them. What else do you look for?
In particular, I have a catalaya that is very pretty and I'd like to
see bloom. Any ideas on what to do with it? I've already tried polite
complements and cursing! jk!