Old 24-01-2005, 05:18 AM
George

"David Jeppesen" wrote in message
I recently returned from Thailand, and watched a chap build a koi
pond, from scratch, out of concrete, concrete blocks, and mortar. One
person, it took him less than three days to complete. Admittedly it
was pretty rudimentary -- a nearly rectangular pond about 12x20x3 ft
deep. I don't want to get into the debate about whether or not this
is an appropriate koi pond; I can only say that he has two other
smaller ones filled with koi that he has successfully run for over a
decade.

The question I would like to ask is why I see so little discussion
about concrete ponds in the NG, and so much discussion about lined
ponds,,,(and the associated problems with liners, etc.) This is a
serious question, not a troll, from a newcomer to the subject.

I have seen this same kind of pond construction throughout several
countries in that part of the world, so I have to conclude that it
must work. I just don't understand why we don't like it very much in
our part of the world??? Can someone please enlighten me?

TIA, David

Whether a pond is made of concrete or is lined usually boils down to personal
preference. Concrete is cheaper that a liner, but is a mess to work with. A
lined pond is more versatile because it can be modified relatively easily. An
all-concrete pond is much more difficult to construct than a lined pond, very
difficult to modify, and is even more difficult than the one you describe (which
used concrete grouted blocks). And if you go with a concrete pond, it is best
to coat the concrete anyway to prevent extreme alkaline conditions in your pond
water, so why not go with a liner to start with. Coating the concrete also
helps to seal it. In the case of the one you saw in Thailand, perhaps plastic
liners are too expensive (they do cost more than concrete) there, so he used the
cheapest materials available. I like the versatility of a lined pond, and the
ease of construction. My motto has always been 'keep it simple'. But like I
said, it really is a matter of personal preference. Concrete ponds can be quite
attractive. If you want a pond installed permanently and are certain that you
will never, ever want or need to modify it, and have the time and money, a
concrete pond might be for you. But if you do go that way, my advice is to plan
well ahead of construction for everything you think you might need in the way of
filtration, drainage, cleaning, ledges, plants, etc. Because once you build
it, making major changes can be a real headache.