Old 24-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Theo

HI Jim
I am leading an experiment since 2 years , it started in sept 2003 and
I have put 6 cuttings of serissas in a pot and left outside all winther
in zone 7 Geneva -switzerland and rooted well and made flowers. I
started with 3 and added when I coudl fiond otehrs more even long
watery stems from green houses and all survived
the first one did not loose one leave in 12 months last november
started to yellow and loose some but new sprots were already there
before the leaves fell ..
As Iris said * is a cold loving semitropical * and under tropics
sometimes nights are quite cold too

Jim Lewis wrote:

Some of you may recall that I, a long-time dues-paying member of
the I Hate Serissa Club, became the "proud" owner of one this
last spring when Jackie spotted a rather interesting little
shohin-sized tree at the Florida show.

Herewith a report.

So far, I've seen nothing of the highly touted temperamental
nature of Serissa foetida. This little tree stayed outside
until temperatures dipped into the upper 30s. Then it came
inside to sit on a sunny windowsill under a fluorescent light.
Then, when we baby-sit the grandkids down in St. Pete Beach, it
went down with us and spent two weeks in the semi-tropical
winter sun. Then it came back up here and back outside while
temperatures hovered in the near 80s for a couple more weeks.
Then temperatures dipped suddenly down to the 20s and it was
jerked back inside to the sunny window and the light.

Now from what I'd heard, that is a lot of environmental change
for a serissa. I expected it to be leafless by now.

Instead, it has added 2 inches and had to have a major haircut
in early January. Not one single leaf has dropped.

I'm gonna put it into a bonsai pot this spring and will chop
quite a bit of root in the process, I suspect, so I'll hold
final judgment until then, but . . .

As far as i can see, Serissas are tough!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Sad Fact:
14% of Americans think Noah's wife was Joan of Arc. :-(

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

--