Old 24-01-2005, 11:01 AM

Default The "perfect" ground cover

Hi!

I'm looking for suggestions. While I'm looking for a plant-like ground
cover, if any of you have had similar situations and were able to find
*any* solution, I'd love to hear about it.

This is probably an impossible request, but here goes anyway.

We have a fenced dog lot, aprox 30' x 20'. Obviously, there are large
areas in the lot with no ground cover or grass at all due to the dog
running around. This leads to a lot of mud on the dog, and prevents us
from putting him in the car as often as we'd like to go to the park,
etc.

I would love to be able to find some sort of ground cover to cut down
on the mud in his lot. It would have to stand up to high foot traffic
from the dog, as well as his excrement.

We live in zone 6 (Virginia) with moderately cold winters & warmish
summers. The soil is pretty high in clay, but there is a good bit of
top soil to plant in. There's no other vegetation around the lot
(trees / etc) and it gets full sun.

Looking through the group archive, it looks like Ajuga or some kind of
clover *might* work here?? Would either of those choices hold up?
Any suggestions?

Thanks!