Old 24-01-2005, 12:52 PM
John Bachman

On 23 Jan 2005 19:35:05 -0800, wrote:

I have a very young Japanese Maple that received a small hack in its
bark. (The bark is just peeled away.) The hack is about the size
of a nickel and is located about inch or two above ground level. Here
are my questions.

- Will this young tree be able to repair the damage and live a long and
healthy life?

- Is there anything I can do to treat the injury?

- Or it is pretty much game over and just a matter of time before
insects and/or disease find the weak spot and invade?

- If this is the case, should I just replace it now with a new Japanese
Maple?

You do not indicate how big the tree is but inferring from your
description that the injury does not girdle the tree then it will
probably survive. Do nothing, anything that you do will only cause
more damage.

The tree should be able to isolate the damage area itself.

JMHO

John