Old 24-01-2005, 05:03 PM
dt

escape wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:04:31 -0600, Rusty Mase opined:

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:28:11 -0600, Katra
wrote:

The local privett ash works well, .......

I do not think this is a useful name. The only native plants I can
think of would be Texas Mountain Laurel and Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria).
Mixing up these two, maybe with other native shrubs would create a
dense hedgerow maybe a dozen feet thick.

I would put Evergreen Sumac in there also but many of these in my
neighborhood are dying due to some disease possibly. Otherwise they
would be great also.

Rusty Mase

Cherry laurel is evergreen, so is Forestiera angustifolia, Mahonia trifoliolata
and many others. See this website for a ton of plant possibilities:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o.../nativeshrubs/

And, if you plan on making a hedge with mountain laurel, plan on waiting
a *long* time.

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/