Old 24-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Susan Erickson

On 23 Jan 2005 11:10:07 -0800, "salgud"
wrote:

Thanks for all the great feedback. This is definitely one of the most
"beginner friendly" NG's I've encountered. It's nice not to get flamed
for not knowing much yet.

We try. Sometimes we are silent -- because it is the same
question asked yesterday. G even we have a limit.

very dark green lush growths?

This is generally a problem with Catts and a sign they are not
receiving enough light for the amount of fertilizer they are
getting. More light requires more food __ BUT__ it is a
balancing act. And as a generality - less food will not kill a
plant.

I will certainly withold food from it next winter, if it hasn't bloomed
again in the interim.

Most orchids only bloom once a year. Their season depends on the
maturity of the new growths. Some will grow enough to mature to
this point several times a year. A Catt must grow a new
pseudobulb in order to bloom again. A Paph must grow a new
'fan.'

not to put any of my orchids in direct southern light.

It is more a case of too much direct light will cause them to
sunburn. Just like you must slowly adjust to more light in the
summer or you burn, your plants can burn. Some will never be
happy with full light. Phal's do not like direct sun. Catts
after being acclimated, will generally take full or close to full
sun.

So should I now adjust their fertilizer to lower
nitrogen?

It is a balance act. If you have adjusted the "light" side of
the equation up and the Catts and Oncid or inter-generic are not
giving you dark forest green leaves don't reduce the fertilizer.
If they are headed toward grass or yellow greens keep the food
coming. You have increased the need for food with the increase
of light.

"In general, and if you are dealing with paph hybrids, I would venture
to say that it is safe to continue with feeding year round.

We never reduce our feeding schedule unless life gets in the way
of our getting out to do the fertilizing.

In terms of oveall health, I know to look for growth, nice green-ness,
full pseudo-bulbs on those that have them.

Be careful of that "nice green-ness" that generally tends to too
much fertilizer and too little light. They should generally be
growing strongly - not weak and spindly. Each growth should
equal or be slightly longer, larger than the prior ones. No
drastic changes and definitely not shorter.

In particular, I have a cattleya that is very pretty and I'd like to
see bloom. Any ideas on what to do with it? I've already tried polite
complements and cursing! jk!

TIME. Hardest thing to supply. Sometimes it takes a plant a
second year to adjust to your growing conditions. Sometimes it
just needs to be more mature to bloom well. Continue caring and
you will continue working to make them more healthy. But on the
other hand, Orchids thrive on neglect. These are not delicate
creatures by and large, there are some exceptions, mostly the
exceptions just need a specific style of care (temp or humidity)
that they are not getting when they don't thrive. Most orchids
want, demand air movement. Stagnant air does more harm than low
humidity.
SuE