Old 24-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Stephen Henning

"David Jeppesen" wrote

The question I would like to ask is why I see so little discussion
about concrete ponds in the NG, and so much discussion about lined
ponds,,,(and the associated problems with liners, etc.) This is a
serious question, not a troll, from a newcomer to the subject.

Obviously concrete ponds work since concrete swimming pools work. In
fact all of the native fish hatcheries around here use concrete ponds.
Our pond is a very old concrete swimming pool (over 50 years old) with
the deep end filled in with clay so that it is about 3' deep. Frost is
no problem as long as the pond is full of water all winter. There is no
maintenance as there is with liners. I never have to worry about
puncturing the liner or repairing it or replacing it. The sides are
vertical so I don't have any heron problems. I have tables around the
edge under the water for my marginal plant pots. I can walk anywhere in
the pond with no difficulty. With a new concrete pond, it would take a
while for the alkaline condition to stabilize, which was not a concern
in our old pool.

The reason for the many liner ponds is cost. They are featured as
do-it-yourself projects and can easily be removed when no longer wanted.
Concrete ponds are a major undertaking and also a big undertaking to
remove. Over the long haul, a concrete pond would be much cheaper and
need much less maintenance.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6