Old 24-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Tex John

Alright, I'll bite:

Charcoal soil contamination?

I spread my charcoal ashes from the fireplace and the pit over my yard all
the time. Other than the pH which St Augustine doesn't seem to care THAT
much about...what contamination?

It puts off fumes into the air, but so do the stump grinders. What's the
quote going around? One hour of lawn mowing is equivalent to a full tank of
gas emissions in a modern car. (I looked into a push mower, but since it
doesn't even pretend to mulch, you either have to rake or mow twice a week
down here from Feb thru Dec !:)

John
Houston

"escape" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:43:41 GMT, "Tex John" opined:

2. I have some 4 old tree stumps in the garden which have been cut

about 5
inch tall, how can I get shut of them, I know you can buy tree stump

killer,
is it any good?

Depending on how dry the stumps are, charcoal can be an inexpensive way

get rid of them. Drier and with big splits helps. Takes work to do --
blowing ash off, adding fresh charcoal as the old burns out every few

hours,
and takes a couple of weekends. That's a ton less work than taking an ax

them, tho.

Hiring a tree company with a grinder would be fast and effortless but

much
more expensive. I've tried to rent just the machine myself and can't find
them for rent around here. But even if you did, you need a truck or

trailer
to move them...not just the trunk of your car.

John
Houston

I've had stumps ground out for as little as 50 dollars. It is far more
effective than a slow burn because it doesn't contaminate the soil with
charcoal, and they can get the entire root flare in one fell swoop.