Old 24-01-2005, 10:23 PM
paghat

I have some 4 old tree stumps in the garden which have been cut about 5
inch tall, how can I get shut of them

An alternative to "getting shut" of them, worth considering at least, is
to use the stumps for plants that like to live on rotting stumps. Grind or
chip out the stumps' centers to create natural "pots" & plant in them
deciduous or evergreen huckleberry shrubs or other sorts of vacciniums
that thrive for as many years as it takes a stump to have rotted away to
nothing. Other plants that would love such a natural rotting-wood
stump-pot include peperomia, bunchberries, ferns, salal, hardy orchids,
violets, crane's-bills, rubus cultivars for fruit... Rotting stumps
increase the amount of benificial fungus in surrounding soil, so that all
garden plants benifit by the presence of stumps or deadfall. Just about
any epiphyte suitable to your temperatures might also adapt to a
stump-pot. But a deciduous red huckleberry, a stunningly beautiful shrub
with the tastiest possible fruits, really won't thrive in any other garden
setting except in a stump, so having the stumps is potentially a rare
opportunity instead of something to be shut of.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"