Old 24-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Amber Ormerod

email happy at dryad dot org
"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
please excuse me but I am totally new to gardening, I have just bought a
house so starting fro scratch, but would like to help I can get.

the problems I have with the garden are as follows:

1. the lawn last summer was covered in ants, making it very annoying when

we
sat in our garden, how can I stop the ants this year? maybe put poison

down?

I found that when I had loads of red ants those ant poisions that goes to
the nest works well. You do it for a few weeks and then it dumbs down the
numbers enough to be able to leave it for a bit and then start again when
there is a problem. That way its less putting things down all the time.

But really unless its red ants I personally won't put chemicals down. There
is also a powder and spray (based on soap I think) thats organic. Most of
these should be in shops but if not
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/index.php has them.

2. I have some 4 old tree stumps in the garden which have been cut about 5
inch tall, how can I get shut of them, I know you can buy tree stump

killer,
is it any good?

I read you can buy mushroom plugs and grow mushrooms (to eat) and it slowly
gets rid of the stump. I am not sure stump killers actually rot it away and
its basty stuff (you have to bag it up to stop it running away) Some tree
companies do stump grinding. (I left mine for the beetles to live in)