Old 24-01-2005, 11:13 PM
nambucca

"PhilBoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
The fence at the top of my back garden, owned by my neighbour, is
broken and falling down, basically it's a wreck. Cats get through and
attack the birds in my garden. It is also in my opinion a security
risk from burglars. My neighbour wont fix it

I would like to plant an extremely nasty, anti cat, and anti burglar,
hedge. I would like something that grows relatively quickly and that I
would be able to prune with powerful electric hedge trimmers. 5 ft.
tall would be my target height. I plan long-term to remove my
leylandii when the hedge is formed.

Any ideas? Pyracanthea, Rosa rugosa, or berberis. A bonus would be to
have butterflies and birds attracted to my hedge.
Phil of Whittlesey Peterborough England

Pyracantha is the most immediate suggestion and the birds love the berries
in the winter althought to get best berries you really need to prune
correctly with secateurs
Berberis in front for low level prickles
Rosa Rugosa is a pain to keep in control and nasty to deal with