Old 25-01-2005, 06:30 AM
gregpresley

Default my eastern contorted white pine has lost its leader

I took a walk today and noticed my little eastern white pine with the
twirled needles lost its top foot - we had a bit of an ice storm earlier
this week, and I'm betting someone carelessly whacked it as they passed
walking down the sidewalk. It was only about 3 1/2 -4 feet before - now it's
about 2 1/2 feet tall. Can I tie up one of the side branches to create a new
leader? Has anyone else tried this on a small conifer? I've done it with a
deodar cedar, but they often have die back in the leader, which pines
normally do not.