Old 24-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Dan Welch

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Dan Welch
writes
Hello,

[..]

Wait till the summer - it may be just a winter problem, in which case
you can grow veg on it in the summer and just ignore it in the winter.

Rhubarb seems fairly tolerant of a damp situation, though not too sure
about whether it likes standing water.

Or you could build a raised bed on it and grow shallow rooted things -
ie most veg.

It will be interesting to see what it's like in the summer... it's very
noticeably wetter than the rest of the garden now, but how that will compare
when the weather's warmer I don't know. Hell, it might be the only part of
the garden that can grow anything if we have another hot summer...

What
plants really like very wet soil? I think that I could plant a willow
tree,
but that's not ideal. Watercress would probably grow there but I have a
limited capacity for that! I'd love to accept the site as it is and dig a
pond there, but we have a toddler so that's something best avoided. Any
thoughts?

Look at the bog garden section of your local nursery. Marsh marigolds,
Geum rivale, ragged robin are some of the things I have in a similar
situation. If it doesn't dry out in the summer, a bog garden can be very
attractive - quite a few urglers would be pleased to have the chance.
--
Kay

That's not a bad idea. I will hold that as a last resort, I'm trying to
separate the lawn / flowerbed part of the garden from the vegetable patch,
but it sounds like an interest project. Thanks to all who suggested
something similar.
Cheers!

dan