Old 25-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Theo

The Pandora Vase os leaking in far too many points .... I guess it is
too late or maybe just a way for nature to grow new species .. after all
nothing is written on granite that will ever exist as we know it ...
not even Granite

Mark Hill wrote:

Jim;

I too am easily wound up on this topic .... having first hand experience
with your "bilge waters of cargo ships" example.
In another life, I was tasked with evaluating the oceanographic efficiency
of the very large outfall at the Alyeska Marine Terminal in Valdez Alaska,
located at the southern terminal of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline.
In brief .... HUGE oil tankers ply the worlds oceans carrying valuable
"Alaska Crude" to dozens of oil refineries all over our ever shrinking
planet.
On the trip back from these refineries, these tankers "tank down" with
millions of gallons of local (often tropical) sea water.
Obviously, the lower they sit in the ocean, the less wind resistance, the
easier they are to steer.
When the tankers arrive back in Valdez, thousands of tons of water are
pumped into football stadium sized holding tanks, and eventually back into
the Valdez Inlet.
Along with this HUGE volume of water are billions of organisms which were
never intended for this climate.
Now, some of you may think .... this cold Alaska water would offer nothing
to support these organisms, but you're wrong.
The waters surrounding Valdez are extremely nutrient rich, and foreign
organisms grow at an amazing rate, to an astonishing size.
I have personally seen (thanks to numerous submarine adventures) HUGE plants
and animals that don't belong in Alaska.

In short, Florida is covered with biota that love the warm moist climate.
The waters surrounding Alaska are filled with creatures who thrive on the
nutrient rich water.

What are we doing to our planet ?
Damned if I know, but it scares hell out of me !

Regards
Mark Hill - Harrisburg PA