Old 25-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Gramma

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Gramma schreef
I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this question but there
are
surely some botanists who have thoughts on this.

snip

So it depends on the plants portrayed (and perhaps the level to which
knowledge has advanced of the particular plant portrayed. It does happen
that later it becomes known that a feature disregarded so far by
taxonomists
is critical, after all).

Thank you for replying.

To try and determine my ability against other illustrators, I am thinking
along the lines of entering an illustration into selection for a
competitive exhibition, where the drawings are selected by a panel including
at least one botanist, one scientific member and one research associate
from a botanic garden.

The choice of plant used is up to the illustrator, and this is why I
wondered about a standard format of presentation of just what should be
shown

I guess I will have to use my judgement on the features of whatever specimen
I choose.
This could of course be part of what they are looking for - to see how an
illustrator has looked at the plant

I will take on the method of scale you suggested - it is certainly makes
sense

Gramma