Old 25-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] winter growth

It sometimes amazes me how much plants actually grow during the
winter months, at least down here where "winter" needs quotation
marks around it most days.

I just de-wired a Buxus m. that I'd wired up in the fall.
Several of the branches revealed wire scars where the bark had
grown into the wire. These all were deep into the tree and
don't/won't show, but I also noted significant growth to the
twigs.

I have a couple of very informative articles about Buxus and
they all say to wire in winter when the tree is dormant. The
authors are european, though, and perhaps their trees have a
real sleep time. Mine don't.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --