Old 25-01-2005, 05:18 PM
synex

Default Growing Bonsai in the UK (help for a beginner)

Hi all,

I'm looking to start a few Bonsai from seed (I know you'll all tell me
this is a bad idea, but I like to jump in at the deep end, and learn as
much as I can the hard way). Now, I've been reading a lot of helpful
guides on Bonsai growing, but most seem to be geared towards growing
Bonsai in slightly warmer climes than my own (I'm in Scotland, UK). I'm
wondering if I should take any special precautions before I begin
because of this. Namely:

- When should I plant the seeds? I was thinking May...
- Any tips on the kind of soil to plant seedlings in?
- Should I grow the seedlings in any kind of incubator, or is a small
tray enough? Even in summer, it can get fairly cold here (10 deg
celsius or lower at night)
- Should I feed or just water seedlings?
- How long should I give the seedlings before I move them outdoors?
Should I move them outdoors at all, or keep them inside to protect them
from the weather?
- If I'm moving them outdoors, any tips on media to transplant them
into?
- When Winter arrives (which I'm sure it will), should I move them
indoors, or put them in some kind of cold frame?

Any more tips on growing in the UK by anyone with experience would be
greatly appreciated. I know these plants take years to grow before work
can begin, bit IMHO, that's part of the fun. I do plan on buying a
cheap plant to practice my pruning on.

Many thanks,
DSt.