Old 25-01-2005, 09:51 PM
sue and dave

Default Advice Planting Lavender.

Macy,

Lavender will be mostly to completely failure as a perennial in your
climate, and the seed is fussy ( VERY FUSSY) about germination. It may be
a case of "BUT THE CATALOGS SAY I CAN" but I've BTDT and lost the bet a few
times.

I'd encourage you to scale back your expectations for an 8'x16' lavender bed
and look to a container situation for lavender, maybe 6-8 plants nursery
grown to transplant stage.

I'm in the very same USDA Zone 5B, adjacent to the Androscoggin River in
Western Maine

If its lavender you want, for scent, for packaging, or for sale in any way,
you ( and I) just don't live in the right part of this world to have it as
a perennial.

Sorry for the bad news, hate to hex your plans, just hope you can revise
and rethink to a workable compromise.

Sue
Western maine

"Macy" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

I need advice to select the best variety lavender seeds for a 8'X16'
raised garden patch. Can I plant two or more varieties of lavender
plants in the same patch?

I am from USDA climate zone 5B. Thank everyone.