Old 26-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Phisherman

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:03:01 GMT, escape
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:25:43 -0600, Macy opined:

Hi everyone,

I need advice to select the best variety lavender seeds for a 8'X16'
raised garden patch. Can I plant two or more varieties of lavender
plants in the same patch?

I am from USDA climate zone 5B. Thank everyone.

Lavender does not grow well from seed. There is one dwarf called 'Lavender
Lady' which seems to do well from seed, but not hardy where you are. I'm not
sure any lavender will be hardy for you and they need perfect drainage and lean
soil, preferably alkaline and rocky...and very dry. Buying plants will give
much greater success.

Not so, but you need to understand how it is done. I've used Burpee
(true) Lavender seeds with great success when following the directions
on the packet. Lavender seeds are very slow to germinate--I know it
can take 6 weeks. The seeds are covered with a layer of 1/4" fine
soil in a pot, protected with a piece of glass, and in a sunny window.
Strange, but without sun, they probably won't germinate. The
seedlings are transplanted to individual pots or to the outdoors after
the last frost. It takes a year or two before producing flowers.