Old 25-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Sean Dinh

My pond project -

1. Dug hole. Dug plant pockets.
2. Calculated amount of concrete to mix by hand.
3. Bought liner.

I preferred concrete pond with plant pockets. I settled for liner with plant bed because
it was much cheaper and easier.

David Jeppesen wrote:

I recently returned from Thailand, and watched a chap build a koi
pond, from scratch, out of concrete, concrete blocks, and mortar. One
person, it took him less than three days to complete. Admittedly it
was pretty rudimentary -- a nearly rectangular pond about 12x20x3 ft
deep. I don't want to get into the debate about whether or not this
is an appropriate koi pond; I can only say that he has two other
smaller ones filled with koi that he has successfully run for over a
decade.

The question I would like to ask is why I see so little discussion
about concrete ponds in the NG, and so much discussion about lined
ponds,,,(and the associated problems with liners, etc.) This is a
serious question, not a troll, from a newcomer to the subject.

I have seen this same kind of pond construction throughout several
countries in that part of the world, so I have to conclude that it
must work. I just don't understand why we don't like it very much in
our part of the world??? Can someone please enlighten me?

TIA, David

For email, please eeliminate the threee dubbel-ewes in: