Old 25-01-2005, 08:10 PM
ned

"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month

ago, it
is about 15 inch in diameter, if I dig round it how deep will I heed

to go
before I reached the roots, and would I need a axe or a chainsaw,

and could
I lift
it?

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like

that

or use http://www.daxproducts.co.uk/rootout.html

I doubt there are any quick solutions.
Chemical treatments rely on rotting and that takes time.
Using a chain saw on underground roots is not recommended !
Contact with stones would be very dangerous and contact with soil will
take the edge off the cutting chain in no time at all.
Only way is to dig down to each root in turn and sever that with an
axe or whatever it takes, then move on to the next.
'If' you have left enough height on the stump you may eventually be
able to rock it which helps locate the next root to be cut.
A newly cut stump will not burn easily.
Not easy!

--
ned