Old 25-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Duncan Heenan

"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month ago, it
is about 15 inch in diameter, if I dig round it how deep will I heed to go
before I reached the roots, and would I need a axe or a chainsaw, and
could
I lift
it?

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like that

or use http://www.daxproducts.co.uk/rootout.html

You should be able to dig it out with a lot of sweat and swearing. Use a
mattock & post hole spade to dig in around the roots to expose them and an
axe ( a good long handled one with a heavy head, and sharp) to cut through
them. It will be a heavy job and not for anyone unfit, but I've done plenty
like it. A chain saw is useless below ground level, as you can't get proper
access and the second you get any dirt, grit or stones on the chain it goes
blunt and won't cut properly. A good long crowbar may be useful too,
especially in prising the stump out. If it has a long stump left (as it
should if you meant to dig it out, to give purchase), don't cut the stump
until you've got it out, as the longer the better to give leverage.
Put some beer in the fridge before you start! Good luck, and don't blame me
for your hernia.