Old 26-01-2005, 06:13 AM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Springer
Hi,

Since we are getting close to spring I thought that I seek some ideas from
the group. I would like to solicit ideas for a small tree (20-25' max.) to
be placed in my front yard. A little history..... The house was previously
owned by a landscaper and he has already planted a nice assortment of trees:
japanese maples (coral bark, red laceleaf, green laceleaf), corkscrew
willow, river birches, holly trees, magnolia, pin oak, zelkova, mostly in
the backyard. The front yard has wonderful shrub and flower beds, but I
would really like to fill one spot near the driveway (= no sappy trees).....
I want to find something that is rare and unique (a showstopper). While I
am not looking to spend a bundle, I would definitely pay more to acquire
such a tree. Any ideas? Something that would fluorish in SW Wake County.
One tree I am thinking about is a Chinese flame tree.....

Hi Jeff,

You've gotten some wonderful suggestions here. I like your choice as well. One other tree that I'd like to suggest is the Sourwood - Oxydendrum arboreum. It has 4 season interest and offers food to wildlife as well. It gives a beautiful fall display and is so pretty when in bloom as well as fragrant flowers and interesting bark. My favorite tree.
http://www.aragriculture.org/horticu...s/Sourwood.asp
http://www.plantbio.ohiou.edu/epb/in...,%20winter.htm

With no disrespect to the posters who suggested the Paulowinia and the Catalpa, these are both considered invasive and both are very messy trees. Here's a site where you can get all kinds of helpful info on trees including aspects such as roots lifting sidewalks, tree litter, invasive potential, etc.

http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/index.htm

Good luck with your selection.
Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.