Old 26-01-2005, 02:47 AM
Jeana

Phisherman wrote:

Not so, but you need to understand how it is done. I've used Burpee
(true) Lavender seeds with great success when following the directions
on the packet. Lavender seeds are very slow to germinate--I know it
can take 6 weeks. The seeds are covered with a layer of 1/4" fine
soil in a pot, protected with a piece of glass, and in a sunny window.
Strange, but without sun, they probably won't germinate. The
seedlings are transplanted to individual pots or to the outdoors after
the last frost. It takes a year or two before producing flowers.

I agree. Lavender is not that hard to grow from seed. Mine came from an
Herb nursery in Canada, the name escapes me now. I'm sure I had at least
a 75% germination rate with two different kinds. Maybe because I started
mine in the dead of winter, and use grow lights, I did have bloom the
first year. There is a type that is not cold hardy. It might be called
Spanish lavender.

Jean
zone 5 Ohio
Go Tribe!