Old 26-01-2005, 04:16 AM
Claire Petersky

"Antipodean Bucket Farmer" wrote in message

The other option is to use runners. I have some
hanging stems (coming out from the middle), with a few
leaves plus flowers and fruits. But I don't see any
starting of roots on these.

Do the runners need to slouch down and get in contact
with some soil before they put out roots?

Also, could anybody explain how to deal with new plants
(from runners) over the winter? Keep them inside
maybe?

I don't know that much about strawberries. What I do know is that somehow I
got a volunteer in the sunniest plot in the garden, so I figured, why not
see what happens. The first year I had already planted squash there when the
volunteer showed up, so mostly it hid under the squash leaves and hung out,
and didn't do much.

After I cleared out the squash at the end of the season, it sent out a bunch
of runners, which started more strawberry plants. I did absolutely nothing
other than weed around the plot. I got a nice crop of strawberries early
that summer. All of those plants sent out more runners, and made more
plants.

Now I have a strawberry patch. I've done zero except weed it occasionally.
This is my kind of gardening.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

I'm doing the Big Climb for my friend Dena! See:
http://www.active.com/donations/camp...?key=cpetersky