Old 26-01-2005, 02:37 AM
ned

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 26/1/05 0:38, in article , "ned"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip
Do you think the Escallonias will enjoy the diesel fuel leaching

into the
surrounding soil, though? IOW, have you done this yourself?

How much diesel do you think I am talking about? All that will

fill a
three inch deep No.8 drill hole. We are not talking gallons here.
Have I done it myself? Not on sycamore or buddleia, but yes, on

ash,
elder and dog rose.
Did it work? Yes.
Did I notice any poisoning of the surrounding ground? No.
The rotting process takes several years as will any leaching of

the
degenerating oil.
Did I plant escalonias on the various sites so that I could answer

the
next question?
Sod it! No. I never thought of that. ;-)

Thank you. That's all I wanted to check. Leaching of the oil would

take one
good downpour I'd have thought, so it's interesting to have your

input.

Think again, dear Sacha. Wood, even green wood, is porous. The oil
does not sit indefinitely in the drilled hole waiting for a downpour
to flush it out. It is absorbed, soaked up, ingested by the wood. Have
you ever tried to coat the cross-section of a piece of wood with, a
preservative or paint? The wood soaks it up faster than you can apply
it.
But, if you are still worried at the prospect, then by all means you
go out and tie a plastic bag over the end of the stump and sleep easy
in your bed.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk