Old 26-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Anil Kaushik

Jim

Here in Chandigarh the minimum temperature has drooped to 3-4*C and Boxwood
are still showing growth on the apical areas. But it is surprising that
during the winter months the branches thickened to grew bark into the wire!
Or it was the other way round i.e. the wire cut into the bark may be because
it was tightly coiled or due to cold; shrank and tightened the grip,
cutting into the bark?

Boxwood have soft corky bark. I have Buxus sempervirens and Buxus harlandii
and at one time I also had the same problem. But now I use DCC (Double
Cotton Covered Aluminum wire) or alternatively I wrap a cotton tape around
the branch and then wire it. That way bark remains intact.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

....... Several of the branches revealed wire scars where the bark had
grown into the wire. These all were deep into the tree and
don't/won't show, but I also noted significant growth to the
twigs.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --