Old 26-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Theo

synex wrote:

All,

Many thanks for the advice. You've given me some good help. I will look
at the books recommended, as learning is paramount for me. Several
things though - I did state that I was going to get a small shrub to
"practice" on, and I will. Secondly, growing from seed is something
that will happen for me, so why spend 5 years learning how to
prune/style a tree, and *then* put some seeds in the ground to have to
wait another 2-3 years when I can plant these now and practice on a
shrub at the same time? That means I learn about growing from seed as
well as learning about fully-grown plants. Incidentally, if anyone can
recommend somewhere in the UK which will sell me a reasonably-sized,
healthy bonsai,

HI read first and learn ..
from now to spring you have enough time to have teh ideas more clear
about ..
the Thomlinson books gives also the species that are suitable for a
bonsai and how to choose them according some rules
not all trees are suitable and some are more suitable tha others
to try to explain all in few mails will only lead you intop a big
confusion
reading a book you'll see your preferences in matter of trees and teh
eventual difficulties involved .. and with time you'll see more and more
clear and make your own choices

I would appreciate it. Most of the nurseries that do
supply Bonsai will not move them by post, and are a little far away for
me. Finally, to the peron that said "we all love to have free the
knowledge some of us acquired spending
HIS time to get it !" -

I said so ! and I was talking of the time that people has spent
to make out of the Bonsai a profession ,and a living
it was not direct to you anyway

I *AM* spending time to acquire knowledge,

we all do, did, will do in future
that's my purpose of being here. It's not about getting the most
information for the least amount of work, which is what you seem to
imply.

you might have receptioned it this way , it was not my intention , but
unfortunately, as I am on 4 different NG spanish italian english and
french , I realized this is a sad reality
The internet is a rich resource, and I am using it.
Many thanks, once again, all. I'll let you know how things go...

Intenet is useless unless you know the basic know how ...
can be a rich complement though!
I am doing bonsai since 27 years before internet existed and some
people even far more than I.. and we all learned and still learn but
without the basic knowledge internet will make a big mess in your mind...
but a do as you please..

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :