Old 26-01-2005, 06:13 AM
Newt

Jeff Springer Wrote:
Hi,

Since we are getting close to spring I thought that I seek some ideas
from
the group. I would like to solicit ideas for a small tree (20-25'
max.) to
be placed in my front yard. A little history..... The house was
previously
owned by a landscaper and he has already planted a nice assortment of
trees:
japanese maples (coral bark, red laceleaf, green laceleaf), corkscrew
willow, river birches, holly trees, magnolia, pin oak, zelkova, mostly
in
the backyard. The front yard has wonderful shrub and flower beds, but
would really like to fill one spot near the driveway (= no sappy
trees).....
I want to find something that is rare and unique (a showstopper).
While I
am not looking to spend a bundle, I would definitely pay more to
acquire
such a tree. Any ideas? Something that would fluorish in SW Wake
County.
One tree I am thinking about is a Chinese flame tree.....

Hi Jeff,

You've gotten some wonderful suggestions here. I like your choice as
well. One other tree that I'd like to suggest is the Sourwood -
Oxydendrum arboreum. It has 4 season interest and offers food to
wildlife as well. It gives a beautiful fall display and is so pretty
when in bloom as well as fragrant flowers and interesting bark. My
favorite tree.
http://tinyurl.com/3rquf
http://tinyurl.com/4nwqg

With no disrespect to the posters who suggested the Paulowinia and the
Catalpa, these are both considered invasive and both are very messy
trees. Here's a site where you can get all kinds of helpful info on
trees including aspects such as roots lifting sidewalks, tree litter,
invasive potential, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/4s4f7

Good luck with your selection.
Newt