Old 26-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Jim Lewis

On 26 Jan 2005 at 13:47, Theo wrote:

Intenet is useless unless you know the basic know how ...
can be a rich complement though!
I am doing bonsai since 27 years before internet existed and some
people even far more than I.. and we all learned and still learn but
without the basic knowledge internet will make a big mess in your mind...
but a do as you please..

Theo may have overstated the case, but I tend to agree with him;
the Internet a a very haphazard -- even spastic -- way to learn
anything. Studies have shown that retention of material read on
the I'net is much lower than material read from a printed page;
hypotheses are that in a book or magazine, you can easily thumb
back a page or two to find a definition, or clarify some past
info, but with the net -- even with hyperlinks -- it's harder to
find the exact spot for something you'd read earlier. (shrug)

I'd even go a bit farther and say that books alone also are a
damned poor way to learn bonsai. I've put a little essay on our
Knowledge Base that outlines how researchers have determined
people learn things. It is from before the WWW blossomed, but
other studies (above) have filled in the gap.

(And before someone chortles "But you just told us how crappy
the I'net was for learning and now YOU've put something there?"
I'll reply that it only proves my point. ANYONE can put stuff
up on the I'net. It's reader beware. ;-)

GOTO:
http://internetbonsaiclub.org/knowle...articles/misc/

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "IF YOU'VE
SEEN ONE REDWOOD TREE, YOU'VE SEEN THEM ALL."
- Forestry expert, Ronald Reagan

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++