Old 26-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Marty Haber

Jim asked: How do you recognize the potential in a scraggly, runted tree?

Answer: Develop your "inner eye".
I once went out with a friend looking for potentsai. He spotted a beautiful
beech. I knew right away it would be a loser; but he insisted, so I pitched
in to help him dig it. Why did I think it was not suitable?
1. I knew that beeches have roots that cling to the surface and stretch out
many meters from the trunk.
2. The lowest branch was more than a meter from the base.

While he was busy with his beech, I looked around and found 5 little
mountain laurels. It took me 5 minutes to dig all of them. After we lugged
his beech to the wagon, I brought over my little treasure trove.
"Where did you find them", he asked,
" I didn't see them while I was looking."
When I told him that my inner eye found them, he looked at me quizzicaly and
remained quiet for a long time.