Old 26-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Bob

"Antipodean Bucket Farmer" wrote in message
The other option is to use runners. I have some
hanging stems (coming out from the middle), with a few
leaves plus flowers and fruits. But I don't see any
starting of roots on these.

Do the runners need to slouch down and get in contact
with some soil before they put out roots?

Also, could anybody explain how to deal with new plants
(from runners) over the winter? Keep them inside
maybe?

Let the runners touch the ground and they will root. Removing early fruit is
supposed to encourage runner development. The new plants should overwinter
fine. As plants get older, fruit production decreases, so removing older
plants(3 yrs - look for long "trunks") can help maintain the bed.