Old 26-01-2005, 02:53 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Dan Welch" wrote in message

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Dan Welch" wrote in message
Hello,

snip
If you are on an old school playing field then there could be almost
anything under there e.g. established land drains which have become
displaced/blocked at one spot, so other areas are draining into it and
forming a wet spot.

snip
Interesting - if slightly disturbing - thoughts there Dave. Thanks! I

think
before doing anything drastic I might take your advice and have a bit of a
dig, see what I find... there was nothing on the drainage survey pre
purchase, but they can be a bit 'approximate' in my experience.
cheers
dan

Just to make sure I made myself clear....

....what I mean by land drains is the method of digging a trench, lining it
with gravel, putting in clay pipes with small gaps between pipe ends, then
covering the whole thing with more gravel, then filling the trench back in
with earth.
This helps to drain water away to the lower part of a field and into a
ditch.
Useful for improving slow draining soil in fields.

Can be straight runs, or a herring bone pattern.

When large areas (such as a field) are broken up into housing units it is
possible for these drains to be interrupted by foundations etc. and end up
draining water from uphill into the foundations.
Can also be disrupted just by general digging, and if a drainage run is
blocked then you could see a wet area such as you describe.

Not sure if this would show up on a drainage survey - I assume you are
talking about the survey that checks the soil pipes and waste water drainage
from the house and guttering.

If you had a more generalised survey of the grounds (not just the house)
then get your surveyor back :-)

Cheers
Dave R