Old 26-01-2005, 03:01 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"gramgill" wrote in message

we just moved in last September but have noticed bad drainage a lot of
moss and a few bumps and hollows as well as a few bare patches on the
grass. It is at the back out of site however i still want to make it as
good as possible the moss i was going to treat with moss killer the
bumps i was going to dig up and restore but what about the hollows if i
put compost on top of the grass will the grass come through or how
should i treat my grass any suggestions appreciated thank you

To level large bumps, cut the turf in a cross, then peel back the four
triangles and remove some soil, then fold the turf together again.

You can do the same to fill large dips (adding soil instead of removing.

To level small dips, you can (IIRC) add some 'sand + loam + grass seed'
mixture which will settle into the dip. Some of the grass will grow through,
and the seed should fill in any gaps.
You need to do this in stages, or you will kill the grass underneath.

However, as you seem to have bad drainage then it might be advisable to sort
this out first.

It would be better in the long run to dig the lawn up, sort out your
drainage, then reseed or returf.
This would get it all over and done with in one season.
If you have a major drainage problem you could spend years patching and
fixing and never get a good lawn.

HTH
Dave R