Old 26-01-2005, 03:11 PM
Tumbleweed

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ned wrote:
[...]
Think again, dear Sacha. Wood, even green wood, is porous. The oil
does not sit indefinitely in the drilled hole waiting for a

downpour
to flush it out. It is absorbed, soaked up, ingested by the wood.

Have
you ever tried to coat the cross-section of a piece of wood with, a
preservative or paint? The wood soaks it up faster than you can

apply
it.
But, if you are still worried at the prospect, then by all means

you
go out and tie a plastic bag over the end of the stump and sleep

easy
in your bed.

OK, but what is the diesel oil actually _for_? What does it _do_? I'm
not surprised you say it takes years for a stump to rot: I'd have
thought heavy oil would, for a while at any rate, be a reasonably
effective preservative.

Mike.

Got to agree there, what is creosote other than a form of oil? I'm sure it
will kill the stump, but chances are it will then preserve it! In fact come
to think of it many years ago my dad treated wooden posts by standing one
end in a bucket of old engine oil for a few days before planting it (or
whatever the appropriate verb for a post is)
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com