Old 26-01-2005, 11:19 PM
sue and dave

"Macy" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:51:41 -0500, "sue and dave"
wrote:

We are from the Midwest, Thank you for your advice and really
appreciate it.

We sew knitting needle covers, tote bags, knitting needles and other
craft, sell it in Ebay. We buy lavender commercially and place them
inside these craft items for scents. Every spring my husband plant
tomatoes and other vegetables in three raises plot in our big
backyard. Planting our own lavender in one of the plot would be ideal,
if possible.

We have not give up hope yet, this morning I called the County
Extension, they refer me to the City's Master Gardener (the City has a
herbal garden). She will call me back tomorrow and advice me how to
go about planting Lavender.

Thanks everyone.

Macy,

Macy, I sincerely wish you well in your endeavor. I do understand that if
you can GROW your own lavendar, you MAY come out ahead in transactions by
eliminating a cash expense where you once bought supplies to add value to
your product.

I do urge you to think carefully about all the expenses you might incur in
attempting your own crop... not just the cost of seeds.

Soil testing and amendments, possible need for row covers and hardware,
replacement costs for same if you have heavy snow/ice load or high winds
during winter. ....

Germination supplies, such as trays, lights, shelving, heat mats or cables,
thermostats, and the added energy costs of supplying additional heat if
necessary.

Your time and labor in the " production" aspect... picking, drying,
packaging, storing.

Your possible risk of loss of all the money/time/energy you spend to make
the crop happen if you have crop failure, then you'll have to still buy the
product after losing investment.

Look very carefully at those estimated expenses and see if they really work
to your advantage against what you are doing now. If Lavendar is a marginal
crop in your area, you may lead yourself into a situation where you spend
more money, time and energy in producing your own crop than you spend on
buying it in bulk from a location where it grows freely and without need of
Intensive Care.

I fully respect that you may have personal issues with overseas products
and a deep desire to be totally hands on with every aspect of what you do.

Best wishes!

Sue

Lavender will be mostly to completely failure as a perennial in your
climate, and the seed is fussy ( VERY FUSSY) about germination. It may

be
a case of "BUT THE CATALOGS SAY I CAN" but I've BTDT and lost the bet a

few
times.

I'd encourage you to scale back your expectations for an 8'x16' lavender

bed
and look to a container situation for lavender, maybe 6-8 plants nursery
grown to transplant stage.

I'm in the very same USDA Zone 5B, adjacent to the Androscoggin River

in
Western Maine

If its lavender you want, for scent, for packaging, or for sale in any

way,
you ( and I) just don't live in the right part of this world to have it

as
a perennial.

Sorry for the bad news, hate to hex your plans, just hope you can revise
and rethink to a workable compromise.

Sue
Western maine

"Macy" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

I need advice to select the best variety lavender seeds for a 8'X16'
raised garden patch. Can I plant two or more varieties of lavender
plants in the same patch?

I am from USDA climate zone 5B. Thank everyone.