Old 26-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Diana Kulaga

Larry,

I can tell you this much: Den. Hirota White does not need a dry rest. A
little less water and fert is normal for most orchids in winter, but not
total deprivation.

One way to tell a Nobile Dend is by looking at the canes; another is by
watching the flowering pattern. The canes on other Dends are rigid, and
often dark in color when they mature. The flowers come on spikes that
originate somewhere on the canes (I have many Dends that produce spikes on
bare canes).

On Nobile types, the flowers grow directly out of the canes, one by one.
IOW, you will see buds up and down the cane. Also, the canes usually remain
green and a bit supple.

No need to apologize for being new at this! We all started with one or two
orchids and then quickly became addicted.....Keep on asking questions. There
are loads of people here with all kinds of knowledge to share.

Diana