Old 26-01-2005, 11:55 PM
V_coerulea

Alone, I find coir is too heavy for most all orchids. Mixed with CHC or bark
and/or sponge rock it's a valuable substitute for peat. It lasts longer and
drains more freely than peat. I use it in mixes for paphs, phals,
chondrorhyncha hybrids, cymbidium and zygo, miltonia and the numerous
hybrids of vuyl, odm, oda, odcdm, mtssa, wils, etc. I find it very useful
for gesneriad and fern epiphytes that pepper the greenhouse. It drains too
freely for large Boston ferns. I also find it useful adding a bit to
seedling mix to prevent seedlings from dryng out too fast before the bark
has had time to mature.
You must make sure that the coir is well washed of salts before using. I
find the easiest way is to fill an old pillowcase 1/4 to 1/3 full and put it
in a 15-20 gal bucket to soak a few hours. Let it drain in an empty bucket
awhile before repeating 2-3 more times. The last time, I soak in Physan. I
partially dry it before storing it away in covered containers. But after the
Physan soak, I've never had any problems with mold or other fungus in
storage even stored wet.
The best price I've found on coir is Rolanka, Inc near Atlanta GA. Service
was great and shipping was very reasonable.
Gary

wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone grown orchids using cocnut coir as a medium? I was
wondering if it holds too much water for orchids. Thanks!
Billy Duncan
www.indoorfarmsupply.com